Learn to Draw with Pastels - Beginners and Beyond
In this 8 week term class, students will learn fundamental drawing skills using coloured chalk pastels. This class is suitable for anyone from beginner to those with prior experience who enjoys drawing or wants to learn how to draw with pastels. Students will learn fundamental drawing skills and learn how to build layers of pastel colours to convey three dimensional form, depth and mood in their drawings.
From the time of Leonardo da Vinci onwards, artists experimented with developing pastels as a means of combining the benefits of the naturally occurring drawing medium of the chalk pencil with the rich variety of pigments used in paints. Thus pastel drawing is often referred to as pastel painting.
Over the term students will:
- work across a range of subject matter from still life, photograph and art reference material and more
- develop fundamental drawing skills including proportion, tone and colour values.
- use variety of coloured papers
- learn to select a “palette” of colours for their artwork
- learn to use pastels from monochromatic underlayers to full colour
- understand of the difference, similarities and the integrated use of natural chalk pigments and artificially bound pastel colours.
- A variety of A3 coloured papers – buff and blue-grey
- Oil-based sanguine red chalk pencil
- Oil-based black chalk pencil
- White chalk pencil
- Stanley knife for sharpening
- Kneadable eraser
- Two paper stumps
- A moderately priced Faber Castel box of 36 soft chalk pastels will be required from Week 3.
(The above materials are essential for being able to undertake the course. A chalk pastel box of 36 pastels is a minimum).
Additional materials may be suggested throughout the term.
Monday 11 February- 01 April 2019
10.00 AM - 1.00 PM
Art Est. Art School (Main Studios)
Unit 4/67-69 Lords Road, Leichhardt 2040
Previous student feedback:
'Wonderful teacher and a particularly friendly and enthusiastic class due to Dominique's personality and ability.'