Portrait Painting Workshop
This painting class is for students who would like to learn the fundamentals of how to paint a portrait from life. The class caters for both complete beginners in oil painting and those with some previous experience.
In a relaxed environment and through a step by step approach, learn how to gain control over oil painting using no more than four colours.* Discover the potentials of tonality and colour within a limited colour flesh palette, without becoming overwhelmed by a new medium.
*Students may use more colours if they wish.
This one day workshop will address:
- An art historical background to portraiture
- Oil painting materials
- The proportions and bony landmarks of the human head
- The tonal scale and observing tone
- How to employ a palette knife in mixing a flesh palette with nine tints of colour from dark to light.
- Observing and mixing relative warm and cool hues
- Massing in tone and bands of colour
- Two eight inch gesso boards, preferably oil – primed but not essential – roughly 30cm x 25cm
- Linseed oil
- Odourless solvent OR oil of spike lavender
- Four round oil painting synthetic brushes (minimum) 2 size 6 and 2 size 8
- Large palette
- Palette knife
- Paper towels
- Oil Colours: Light Red, yellow ochre, burnt umber brown, titanium white (minimum)
Sunday 22 March 2020
10.00 AM - 4.30 PM
Gallery Lane Cove,164 Longueville Road,
Lane Cove NSW 2066